- Work Packages
- WP 1Management & Coordination
- WP 2 (OSD)Ocean Sampling Day
- WP 3Oceanography & Environmental Data
- WP 4Standards and Interoperability
- WP 5Bioinformatics & Data Integration
- WP 6Exploring Ecosystems Biology
- WP 7Function and Biotechnology
- WP 8Intellectual Property (IP) Management for Marine Bioprospecting
- WP 9Dissemination & Outreach
- Public DeliverablesAll Micro B3's public deliverables
- Third Micro B3 Industry Expert Workshop
- Micro B3 Industry Expert Workshop
- Micro B3/OSD Analysis Workshop
- Micro B3 Stakeholder Workshop
- Micro B3 Summer School in Crete 2014
- Marine Metagenomics Bioinformatics
- Micro B3 Industry expert workshop
- EU-US Training 2013
- Micro B3 Statistics Training 2013
- MG4U Bioinformatics Training 2013
- Bioinformatics Training 2012
- EU-US Training 2012
Micro B3 Summer School, Crete: Logistics
This summer school is organized as a two-week interactive training from Monday 26 May (Please NOTE: the summer school starts on Monday May 26 instead of Tuesday May 27!) to Friday 6 June 2014 at the Institute of Marine Biology, Biotechnology and Aquaculture (IMBBC) of the Hellenic Center for Marine Research (HCMR) in Gournes, near Heraklion Airport, in Crete, Greece. The marine station (HCMR) is located on the premises of a former US-American military base and close to the Crete Aquarium.
HCMR is situated in the area of Gournes Pediados, 20 km east of Heraklion town center and 15 km from Heraklion International Airport (N. Kazantzakis airport)
IMBB - Institute of Marine Biology, Biotechnology and Aquaculture of
HCMR - Hellenic Centre for Marine Research
P.O.Box 2214, Former US Base at Gournes,
710 03 Heraklion Crete Cretaquarium
tel: +30 2810337801
How to reach Crete Island
The island has three significant airports:
- Nikos Kazantzakis' Airport at Heraklion
- Daskalogiannis' Airport at Chania
- a new public airport in Sitia, which currently serves only a small number of domestic flights
From April till early November charter airlines fly directly to Heraklion and Chania from many European airports.
How to reach the HCMR from Heraklion Airport
There is a Green Bus schedule approximately every 15 min. from Heraklion Airport to Gournes, the small sea-side town, where the HCMR is situated. Routes to Ag. Nikolaos, Malia, Hersonissos, Sitia, Ierapetra are the ones you should take. (ask for a stop near by the Cretaquarium (bus stop number 9) or the Astir Beach Hotel, or the Klio Apts).
Bus Station - Information tel.: +30 2810 246530, or 246534.
Ticket price: € 1,80 (one way).
Travelling time: approx. 15-20 minutes.
By Taxi ( our recommended way of transport especially if you arrive early in the morning or late in the night and have luggages to carry)
A taxi can be taken from the airport to HCMR and near-by Hotels.
Fare: approx. € 25,00 (sometimes luggage transfer is charged )
Travelling time: approx. 15-20 minutes
From Chania Airport
Busses are running frequently between Chania Airport and the city of Chania .
Fare: approx. € 2,30
Travelling time: approx. 30 minutes
From Chania to Heraklion
Fare: approx. € 13,80
Travelling time: approx. 2 hours 45 minutes
More information regarding buses’ exact timetables can be found here KTEL Heraklion-Lasithi bus company (check departures from the station at the port to Rethymno, Chania)
We recommend to take a Taxi from Heraklion to Gournes. Taxis are quite cheap, so they can be considered a very convenient way of moving around in Crete.
A group reservation has been made in Astir Beach Hotel (from Sunday 25 May until Friday 6 June), which is within walking distance from the HCMR. All participants have to cover travel costs and hotel nights as well as dinner costs on their own. Hotel costs are 40 Euro/night, incl. breakfast buffet; there is the option to share a room for 50 Euro/night (2 persons per room) .